Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 703-260-6070
The Rohrstaff Law Firm

The Rohrstaff Law Firm

Call 703-260-6070
Fax 703-260-6305

You may not know about the most important car insurance coverage you can have. Learn how to protect your family from irresponsible drivers.

What part of your auto insurance policy provides the most protection if you or your family members are injured in a car wreck?

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage -- also called UM/UIM.

It provides coverage if the irresponsible driver who injured you does not have insurance - or does not have enough insurance - to repay you for the injuries he caused.

I don't sell car insurance; never have. But I represent people who are injured by careless drivers. Your agent may never have told you that the most important coverage to buy is UM/UIM. Here’s a quick lesson about the difference in liability and UM/UIM coverage. 

Scenario #1 – Personal Injury Liability. You are driving. You hit another driver (or pedestrian). It is your fault. The other person is injured. You have personal injury liability coverage. Your insurance company hires a lawyer and defends you and will pay for the damages you caused (thereby protecting your assets) up to the limits of liability coverage you bought. So, if you have a lot of assets, you better buy enough personal injury liability coverage to protect your assets from your own carelessness.

Scenario #2 – UM/UIM. You are driving (or are a pedestrian). You are hit by a car. It is the other driver’s fault. You are seriously injured. If the other driver has no (or too little) insurance to pay for your medical expenses, lost income, future lost earning capacity, pain, suffering, disfigurement, etc., what will you do? Look to your own automobile insurance policy and find your UM/UIM coverage. It pays for the damages the other driver caused. It is not insurance for the other driver. It protects you from the other driver who does not have enough insurance to fully compensate you for all your losses.
By the way, this may be a surprise to you: Drivers in Virginia are not required to have car insurance. Consequently, there are plenty of drivers out there driving around with no insurance at all or with woefully low limits that cannot protect you from their irresponsibility.

Here’s my advice: Buy as much UM/UIM coverage as your insurance company will sell you, even if it is $1 million. It is that important – and the annual increase in your premiums will be amazingly small (especially if you eliminate or raise the deductibles on the collision and comprehensive coverages). Your premium may go up by as little as $50 per year to raise your UM/UIM limits to $1 million. That's almost like free, for the best coverage you can buy for your family.

Talk to your insurance agent. Get your family protected from losses caused by irresponsible drivers.

Contact Rohrstaff Law Firm for a free evaluation of your automobile insurance policy coverages. Call 703-260-6070 or email [email protected]


Sandra Rohrstaff
Connect with me
Virginia Child Injury and Elder Abuse Attorney